Sarah

“How are you?” She asked with a warm smile.  Her long silver dreadlocks were striking, in sharp contrast to the shelves of laundry detergent behind her.  

I opted for honesty.   “I’m sad.” I said. “Thank you for asking.”

“I thought something was up,” She said.  “ I saw you earlier. I’m Sarah. What makes you sad?”

“ A breakup.”

“Ah.  You need to know that you are loved.” Sarah said with a boldness that suggested we were fast friends, even though this was the first time we ever spoke.

“I get that.” I replied.  “And I’m still sad right now.”  And Sarah gave me a big hug in the household aisle of Lowe’s Grocery.  Everything seemed right, suddenly. And I told her how I hoped the one I love would get the same treatment from strangers like her.

I picked up some air freshener, thanked her, and walked away filled with a sense of gratefulness about finding love expressed through strangers while shopping in what had previously felt like a lonely place.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing Authentically

When Stories Collide

Break up Depression