Antidotes For Depression



A.  Authentic sharing.  Just being able to express where I am to someone without having to hear solutions is incredibly powerful.  Thank you Heidi Dove for just listening and for allowing me the space to just be.
B.  Going through the paces.  Assume tasks that are in front of you to do, knowing that you’ll somehow have the grace to complete them.  Be authentic about where you are. There’s no reason to hide. Thank you Peter McRae, Melissa Yang, and Diane Little for being magnanimous with me as we complete this amazing leadership program together and for allowing me the space to be human.  Thank you for trusting me and for acknowledging my contribution in your life.
C. Listening to others who know you best.  Recognize that during the experience of depression your brain is muddled and can’t be trusted for reality checks.  Others who see you, know better. Thank you Brent Queen, Amy Coone, Juliet Good, Melissa Gail Bost Napier, Anthony L. Dickens Alderman, Erika Perry, Jonathan JD Daniel, Marsha Schroeder Cayton, Sharon Ford, Bobbie Ellis, Courtney Gates, Emily Zucker and many others who provide reference  points like stars in the sky that help me navigate through the stormy waters.
D. Exercising when you don’t want to.  I’m glad I scheduled a walk today with Brenton Queen.  The movement will make the difference.
E.  Taking small steps.  It’s easy to get overwhelmed right now by everything that has to be completed.  The best advice is simply to do one task. Celebrate. Do another task. Celebrate. Eat dark chocolate.
F.  Giving grace to myself.  I know this space will pass.  It’s just part of the phase. And tomorrow will be different.
G. Practicing gratefulness.  I’ve got an incredible supply of support.  I’ve also got an amazing life to live. Plenty to be grateful for.  Even if right now all I see is my cat, who won’t leave me alone until I pet him.  Thanks, Kipling for your persistent purring.
H. Praying for others.  Having the experience of depression right now gives me an open window to the world.  As an empathetic human, who feels deeply, I can now intercede for others in a way that wasn’t possible before.  And knowing who I REALLY am as God’s child, I have the power of agreement to make a huge difference for others I don’t even know just by leaning into God’s heart right now and speaking out not only my own deliverance, but that of others who have less hope.
I. Being me—-with a capital S.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing Authentically

When Stories Collide

Break up Depression