Investment Embarrassment

What’s most embarrassing:

I’ve spent a lot of time and energy lately expressing the whole array of feelings I’ve had surrounding break up.  I’ve received a great deal of support, for which I am grateful.

But there’s another story I need to tell that has created an incredible amount of shame and financial burden that I hope nobody repeats.  Back in July 2017, I was contemplating leaving my job at an agency and beginning a private practice. At the time, I had about $15,000 in credit card debt, mostly as a result of living through graduate school, Landmark trainings, and car repairs.   (And living just beyond my means, to be really honest) I wanted to do something to narrow down my debt, knowing that I would be cutting down my monthly salary for awhile until my caseload increased. I already felt ashamed because the one I loved agreed to pay for my trip to Cancun in April 2017 and had frequently bought whatever I needed out of sheer generosity.  And I wasn’t able to return the favor.

I also wanted to prove that I can be responsible and had the hope that I could pay for the next trip.  About that time, I started getting phone calls from a financial assistance program. I probably talked this company at least a dozen times before agreeing to have them help me consolidate my loans.  They basically used my great credit to secure zero percent credit cards to transfer my debt between four different banks, acting like they were some kind of special authority, when in fact I realize now I could have done the same thing on my own.

They then promised to pay off all that I owed before the zero percent agreement ran out.  In addition, they would train me to take control of my financial future through a special program that obviously was too good to be true.  But I went for it anyway and ended up doubling my debt.

I’m actually a really intelligent human being, but over the course of several conversation, I allowed myself to be duped.  I spoke with David, Anna, Steve, Cheyenne, Naiomi, and Acari on a number of occasions and felt rather comfortable with them. And even now, I can call the company and some kind hearted soul will tell me that I will get ALL of my money back by July 2019.

In return, I got a flimsy folder with three different addresses in Arizona.  One is a parking lot. Another is a drug store. One bank investigator suggested that I just wait to see what happens.  A lawyer suggested that I would probably spend more than I could afford to get nothing back. The police in my town state that no crime has been committed yet.  And continue to feel completely violated by my own pride and stupidity. And there’s always that slight hope that maybe just maybe somebody was telling me the truth.

Meanwhile,  I have taken out thousands of dollars from my retirement savings to lower my monthly payments so that I can still keep my zero percent interest on four credit cards.  

Imagine the stress of learning that the place where I now work is shutting its doors at the end of April.  I’m still surviving, and am humbled by the ordeal.

My purpose for sharing this is simply a warning about a company that sends out a folder that says “Welcome to financial freedom: helping millions of families save thousands of dollars every year.”  9920 S. Rural Rd. Ste # 33 Tempe AZ 85048

One way of dealing with this trial has been to create an empowering context for overcoming my debt.  So I am resolved that I create the possibility of being anchored, expansive, and prosperous as I start my new adventure in a different counseling setting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing Authentically

When Stories Collide

Break up Depression